Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Hygge | what does it mean?



I'm used to connect the word “hygge” to the sense of intimacy and well-being that I first noticed in many north Europe interiors and that I love to create in my spaces but I must say that the meaning of this Danish word is wider. So, I looked on the web and I wrote this list with my faves links:


01 - The Lonely Planet Quote :
The Danes are obsessed with cosiness. All of them. Even the toughest leather-clad biker will recommend a bar based on its ‘hygge‘ factor. In Danish, however, ‘hygge’ means more than just cocoa and tea lights. It’s about a feeling – a sense of warmth and companionship. So, as another long winter waits in the wings, it’s time to get that hygge feeling.
Via Study in Denmark



02 - a little bit of HISTORY of the word:
Hygge didn't originate in the Danish language but in Norwegian, where it meant something like "well-being." It first appeared in Danish writing around the end of the 18th Century and the Danes have embraced it ever since. One good thing about hygge is that you can apply it anywhere.


03 - the SHORTer definition I found is :
'illuminating the soul'


04- the ARCHITECTure  magazine's definition
A home's sense of hygge—that is, the spare but very cozy minimalism epitomized by Danish houses.
Hygge (roughly pronounced hoog-eh) describes the warm, cozy feeling that develops when friends gather in a room with some open flames (candlelight, fireplace), alcohol, and plenty of time to enjoy the experience. There’s an aesthetic component, too—worn wood and strewn (faux) sheepskins help. So do “small things, and blankets” . Though it’s somewhat difficult to define, Danes know it when they see it.
Via Dwell here and here.


05 - To end, take a little time to watch at this two nice VIDEOs:

WHAT IS DANSK HYGGE ? Television serie "Capitain" for DR2 (YouTube)



SO WHAT IS DANISH HYGGE? Via VisitDenmark (YouTube)



Do you know other good links about HYGGE? Suggest them in the comments, I'll be happy to look at them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...